Chicken tikka masala is the most famous non vegetarian recipe in Indian. Though it’s debatable where it came from but you can’t deny its super flavourful taste. The favourite part of this recipe for me is the tikka prepared in the oven.
Marinating chicken is the most important part in this recipe. Since the marination gives chicken more flavour so I generally marinate chicken for minimum 4 hours or preferable overnight. Trust me it really make a big difference. I have prepared chicken tikka in hurry as well by marinating it just for 30 minutes or so, but the chicken won’t taste that good.
You can find chicken tikka masala in every restaurant in India. And I have never had bad chicken tikka masala in India. They always make it super tasty. In restaurants, they prepare chicken tikka in grill which enhances the flavour as it has coal in it.
But at home you can either use your barbecue to prepare it or an oven. What I do is, I prepare chicken tikka in oven and then roast them on fire to give them little burnt flavour. It actually looks good.
Chicken tikka masala is generally served with tandoori roti, garlic naan or rice. Hope you like this recipe from my kitchen. Let me know how was it in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Watch video –
Printable recipe –
Detailed recipe with step by step photos –
- Cut chicken breast into small cubes and add it to a bowl.
- Add curd or yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, chilli paste, salt, black pepper, garam masala, chilli powder and mustard oil to it. Mix well.
- Add vinegar and mix. Cover it and refrigerate for minimum 1-4 hours. I generally prepare it a day before.
- Take out the chicken 15 minutes before cooking. Arrange it on the skewers and bake it in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until done at 275°C/527°F.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Let it crackle.
- Add grated onions to it. Cook it on medium heat until onion becomes translucent. Stir continuously.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and ginger-garlic paste to it. Mix well.
- Add tomato puree to it. Cook it until it becomes little thick, approximately 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add cashew paste and fresh cream to it. Mix well.
- At last add kasoori methi/fenugreek leaves to it by crushing between your palms. Mix well. Add water if required.
- Now add cooked chicken pieces to it. Mix well. Cover it and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Take off the cover and give curry a mix. Serve hot with roti or rice.