What is Coconut Barfi?
This sweet delicacy is a type of fudge made from coconut amongst main ingredients. Coconut barfi is a very popular dessert in India . It can be cooked by using just four(4) handy ingredients from your kitchen – coconut, milk, sugar and ghee. It is simple yet special sweet dish that can be cooked within 15-20 min.
In India, Coconut is one of the holy fruits and is used as an offering to god during Indian festivals and on auspicious occasions. Coconut is one of the most versatile product and used in abundance in Indian houses. Barfi, aka coconut fudge, is one of most liked sweets by Indians and you may find this in every single shop during festivals selling like a hotcakes. If you are in India during festivals like Diwali, Holi or Durga Pooja, be ready to take a piece of this mouthwatering dish.
As India is getting ready for the Diwali, festival of lights and Navratri, a festival of idols – this recipe can be included in fasting menu and also serve the purpose as offering to gods and guests alike. During Navratri, people tend to fast daily for whole duration and it is convenient dish to consider as part of your fasting menu as this can be made quickly and is a good energising gluten-free recipe.
There are several variations of coconut barfi – it can be made by adding khoya or mava in place of milk and condensed milk or Jaggery in place of sugar. Traditionally though, it is made with coconut, milk, sugar and ghee. I am preparing coconut barfi by using desiccated coconut but you can use fresh or frozen coconut as well.
I have given my preparation a little twist by using two additional flavours – cardamom and Saffron. Both these flavours well go with any sweet dish. Light yellow colour of saffron will give it a stunning look, and it looks more presentable to serve to your guest . You can also add food colours of your choice for example on Independence Day, you can make this recipe in tricolours. By using same method, I am preparing this in two colours. However, I would suggest avoiding to use any colours during preparation of this dish if intended for consumption during fasting.
Further for garnishing, I am using pistachios. You can replace Pistachios with almonds, cashew or chironji as per your liking.
Let’s make this finger licking dish with some twist.
I have also made some more recipes for vrat or fast specially for Navratri in my navratri recipe collection which includes recipes such as khajur barfi, milk peda for dessert. And singhara pakora, kuttu paratha, falahari chaat, sabudana khichadi and sabudana vada for savoury food.
Important Tips –
- Cook mixture on low heat.
- Use of full fat milk or skim milk is optional. I am using full fat milk.
- To get that perfect soft texture, don’t cook the mixture for a long time.
- I am making coconut barfi with desiccated coconut but you can also use fresh/frozen coconut if available as that will give you more juicy and softer texture. Remember to remove brown outer layer of coconut.
- If using sweet desiccated coconut, adjust sugar accordingly.
- Instead of milk you can also add mawa/ condensed milk. it will probably give you a different taste though.
- Barfi can be stored for 7-10 days in fridge.
Watch Video –
Printable recipe –
Coconut barfi recipe with step by step photos –
- Take 8-10 saffron strand soak in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a square shaped container or any other deep utensils, place a baking sheet on it and grease with ghee. advance preparation of baking trey help you to pour mixture immediately and set properly.
- Heat a pan and add ghee, without waiting add coconut, sugar and milk to it.
- Cook mixture on a low flame, keep stirring until the mixture becomes thick and comes together. burfi can turn hard if you over cooked mixture.
- Turn off the heat divide the mixture in to two equal parts. Do not let it cool.
- In 1st part add cardamom powder and mix it well.
- In 2nd part add saffron water (soak 8-10 saffron strands in hot water for 10 minutes)
and mix it well. It will give light yellow colour to the mixture.
- Now immediately transfer the cardamom mixture in to greasy baking tray. Slowly press it until it’s flatten and looks smooth on top.
- Top the cardamom layer with saffron mixture. Press it until smooth and levelled.
- Garnish with pistachios or nuts of your choice on top of it. Press it a little.
- Let it set on room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- When completely set, cut the coconut barfi in desired shape.
- Store it in fridge and consume it for 7 days.