Digestive biscuits are the biscuits made of whole wheat flour. Even the amount of sugar used in this is not much. Thats why people nowadays choose this over normal parle or good day biscuits. This biscuit tastes amazing with morning or evening tea. It’s super light and healthy that you can eat it as snacks in the afternoon.
In this recipe I have used 3 major ingredients – whole wheat flour (you can use multi grain flour as well), powdered sugar and butter.
To make it little savoury I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt. And to rise it a little I have used baking powder.
Also always use powdered sugar/icing sugar in this recipe since the granulated/refined sugar won’t mix properly.
Do remember that whenever we make cookie or biscuits always use chilled butter. If you use melted or room temperature butter it will definitely going to ruin your biscuit/cookie.
Also since the digestive biscuits we find in the market have those tiny holes all over it, so I also tried to achieve the same using toothpick.
I baked these in oven. But if you don’d have oven you can make them in a pressure cooker as well. Just heat a cooker. Add generous amount of salt at the base. Place a small bowl and then place the tray/plate containing biscuits. Close the lid of cooker and remove the whistle. Cook for 15-20 minutes in low heat. This process gives the same result.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know what do you think of this recipe in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Watch video –
Printable recipe –
Full recipe with photos –
- Take a medium size bowl. Add wheat flour, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt to it.
- Add cold butter to it and mix well.
- Add milk, little at a time and start mixing. Stop adding milk when everything comes together in the form of dough.
- Divide dough in 2 parts. Roll it thin using a rolling pin.
- Take a circular shaped cookie cutter and make circles on it.
- Remove the extra dough from the sides so that only circular shaped biscuits remains.
- Now take a toothpick and punch on all the biscuits. (This is optional, it’s just to make it look like digestive biscuits from the market)
- Transfer the biscuit on a baking tray. (Do not forget to align a parchment paper/butter paper on the sheet)
- Bake it in a pre heated oven @ 160°C/ 320°F for 25 minutes.
- Take it out when done. Remove it from the baking tray.
- Eat or serve it with chai or coffee. BON APPETITE!