Dum aloo is an indian cuisine from kashmir. There are two forms of dum aloo, one is Kashmiri dum aloo and other is north indian dum aloo. Kashmiri dum aloo consists of mostly curd and lots of red chillies. While north Indian dum aloo is a combination of onion-tomato gravy with curd-chilli paste.
Personally I prefer north Indian style, I find it more flavourful (no offence). Also because of tomato-onion, the gravy becomes thick and easy to eat, which is not the case in Kashmiri dum aloo.
I this recipe I have used dry red chillies to make a curd – chilli paste. If you cant find dry red chillies, you can use kashmiri chilli powder. The dry chillies gives a really nice red colour and texture to the dish so its preferable.
Also I have use canned tomato paste in this recipe which you can find very easily in a nearby grocery store. But if you can’t, just blend some tomatoes and cook until done.
The canned paste give nice colour and easy to use thats why I prefer it. Though its quite tangy in taste, so don’t use too much.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know what do you think in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Watch video here –
Printable recipe –
Full detailed recipe with pictures –
- Soak dry red chillies in hot water for 30 minutes. Then blend it. Take curd/yogurt in a bowl and add chilli paste to it. Mix well.
- Now add oil in a deep pan and fry boiled-peeled baby potatoes in it. Poke all the potatoes using a fork. Fry from all sides. Take them out when golden brown.
In the same pan, add cumin seeds/jeera, chilli powder, coriander powder/dhana and turmeric. Mix immediately, do not let it burn.
- Add onion paste and ginger-garlic paste to it. Mix well. Cook till oil starts to separate. (around 2-3 minutes)
- Add tomato puree to it. Mix well.
- Now add salt, cardamom powder and garam masala to it. Mix.
- Add curd-chilli paste to it and mix.
- Add water to it, mix and add baby potatoes to it. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. (Medium heat)
- Take off the cover and give it a mix.
- Turn off the gas, garnish it with cilantro and serve hot!