Tomato rice is a really quick recipe. It can be done in only 15 minutes. You can either make it with leftover rice or with fresh rice. It’s really tasty and healthy that you can eat it as a breakfast or even in dinner.
In this recipe I have used finely chopped tomatoes but if you like, you can use tomato puree as well. I did not used onions, but you can definitely add it.
Also if you want to make it more healthy, you can add capsicum, paneer or cabbage to it. It tastes so good that your kids will eat all the veggies used in this.
If you want to make it more spicy, you can skip chillies and add pav bhaji or chole masala to it. Trust me it also tastes good.
I have also made some more leftover masala rice recipes such as pudina rice and mumbai tawa pulao. Don’t forget to check these out. These are also super yummy and healthy.
Also check my pulao recipe.
Hope you like this recipe. Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Watch video –
Print this recipe –
Full recipe with photos –
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds/jeera to it. Let it crackle.
- Add finely chopped ginger and garlic to it. Fry until golden brown.
- Now add chopped green chillies and curry leaves (kadi patta) to it. Mix well.
- Put the heat on low flame and add turmeric/haldi, chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala to it. Mix well.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to it. Mix.
- Put the heat on high flame and add salt to it. Mix and cook until tomatoes becomes like puree.
- Now add cooked rice to it. Mix well.
- Add lime juice and mix. Serve hot!