An authentic bowl of Karnataka cuisine
Ennagayi recipe represents brinjal (eggplant) stuffed with ground spices curry. It is a delicacy from the cookbooks of North Karnataka, where they call it Badanekai yennegai. This stuffed brinjal recipe is the Baingan curry or Baingan bharta in Northern India.
Variations shown in the curry of Ennagayi recipe
Generally, the stuffing or the curry for the ennagayi recipe has blended peanuts and coconut as their main ingredient. Southern spices such as curry leaves and tamarind dominate and elevates the curry taste. Moreover, this hot and spicy curry goes well with all the main course like chapati, jowar roti, rice and dosa!
Do not forget to try our recipes of other delicacies from the land of Karnataka!
Neer dosa– Thin and fluffy crepes of ground rice batter.
Goli bajji– Also called Mangalore bonda or Mysore Bonda. These balls are made of rice and dal batter with coconut and curry leaves
Puilyogare– A famous South Indian Chithra Annam (Variety rice) made from tamarind pulp and rice.
Try out the recipe of other Indian curries too!
Matar paneer– One of the favourites and easiest recipes to make from peas and paneer cooked in spicy tomato puree.
Pepper chicken curry– A spicy South Indian cuisine prepared from authentic homemade pepper gravy and spices, added and cooked with chicken.
Bhindi curry– Another spicy gravy from North India with roasted and fried Okras (Bhindi/ Ladies finger) as the pro ingredient.
Sarson ka saag– A curry with an authentic fine twist to mustard greens or spinaches from the land of Punjab.
A c0mbo of spice with nutritional values
Ennagayi recipe has peanuts and brinjal as their main ingredients. While the former is rich in proteins and monounsaturated fat content, the latter consists of Vitamin B-6 and various minerals. In conclusion, these micronutrients help in keeping our heart conditions and cholesterol levels in check.
Also Brinjal, the main ingredient of the Badanekai yennegai recipe is helpful in fighting cancer. It is good for our bones, helps treat anaemia and improves cognitive function. The vegetable is digestion-friendly and hence recommended for pregnant women to have this as one of their nutritious intakes.
While adding peanuts, makes the dish more healthy and tastier! For instance, it is well-known as a blood sugar regulator, good for our skin and has abundant energy.
How to make Ennagayi recipe?
Firstly, roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut together in a pan and grind them to a coarse powder. Secondly, take a pan and toss onion, ginger and garlic and grind them with tamarind, jaggery and other spices. Blend this curry and the powder. They form the stuffing for the ennagayi recipe. After that, take raw eggplants and cut them into 4 without detaching the pieces. Fill in the cut part with the stuffing. In conclusion, fry the stuffed brinjal in oil and add the remaining stuffing as curry. Cook and serve the Ennagayi recipe hot.
Tips to prepare the dish
- Firstly, do not prepare the stuffing too thin or too thick in consistency for the ennagayi recipe. This may affect while filling the brinjal.
- Secondly, cut the slits in the brinjal in such a way that there is enough space to fill it with the stuffing. Also do not cut them too deep as that cut the part of brinjal separately.
- You can also prepare the stuffing curry for ennagayi from scratch adding chana dal, cumin seeds, dried red chillies, methi; to grind them into a fine paste.
Here’s the video to watch the Ennagayi recipe
Printable version of the recipe
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 slice Ginger
- 1 cup Onion 2; medium-sized; Finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Tamarind
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Chilli powder Lal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Brinjals Baingan/eggplant
- Curry leaves
- In a pan, roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut.
- Collect them in a blender and grind the mixture into a coarse powder.
- In a pan, add a tablespoon of oil. Add 6 cloves of garlic, a piece of ginger and a cup of onion.
- Toss them till they turn translucent. Then add curry leaves and toss them further.
- Collect them in a blender and add 2 tablespoon tamarind and 1 tbsp jaggery.
- To this, add a teaspoon of chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 2 teaspoons of coriander powder and a teaspoon of salt. Grind them to a fine paste.
- To this paste, mix the peanut powder and prepare the stuffing.
- Take the brinjals and make longitudinal slits on the 4 sides. Fill the slits with the stuffing prepared.
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place the stuffed Brinjals on the oil and fry them well till the stuffing gets cooked.
- Add the remaining stuffing as gravy to the pan and cook all the ingredients.
- Pour a cup or two cups of water to adjust the curry's consistency. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- When ready, serve the curry piping hot alongside jowar roti or chapathi.
Elaborate instructions on how to make ennagayi with images
- Firstly for the ennagayi recipe, add 1/4th cup of peanuts, 2 tbsp of sesame seeds and 1/4th cup of coconut in a pan. Dry roast them for a few minutes.
- Collect them in a blender and grind them into a coarse powder.
- Secondly, add a tablespoon of oil to a pan. In that, add 6 cloves of garlic, a slice of ginger and a cup of finely chopped onion.
- Fry them till they become translucent. Add curry leaves and toss further.
- Collect them separately in a blender. To this mixture, add a teaspoon of red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, two teaspoons of coriander powder. Finally, add a teaspoon of salt and grind them as a paste.
- Mix the paste with the powder and prepare the stuffing.
- Take raw brinjals for the ennagayi recipe. Cut longitudinal slits as an “X” mark. Do not cut them fully.
- Fill in the slits with the stuffing prepared.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil. Fry the stuffed brinjal in the oil.
- Then add the remaining stuffing as gravy and mix the ingredients in the pan.
- Add 2 cups of water to adjust the consistency and cook the gravy. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Give a final mix.
- In conclusion, garnish with red chilli or coriander leaves and serve the dish hot!