From the soy milk of Chinese kitchen
Tofu- the protagonist of our tofu stir fry, has an interesting story of origin! When a Chinese chef left the soy milk to curdle in his kitchen 4000 years ago, he witnessed the rise to this soft edible component. Then the Japanese too made that to be their regional delicacy.
Then tofu preparation had some modifications, and people started the commercial manufacture. The manufacturing process involves soaking, crushing and boiling the dried soya beans. It then separates into milk and solid pulp (Okara). The addition of salt coagulants happen in the milk and poured into mouldings. The milk solidifies and gives tofu.
Delicious sides took with tofu stir fry!
For a tasty and healthy delicacy like a stir fry, Chinese main courses like fried rice, brown rice and rice noodles make a great pair! Moreover, the taste of the sauces, the flavours of crispy veggies in our stir fry and the softness of the tofu make a great combo with these main courses. Some other tofu and healthy vegan recipes that you can try are;
With Sweet and sour sauce- Adding tofu and preparing a dish with sweet and sour sauce
Broccoli stir fry- A healthy vegan dish prepared from tofu and broccoli.
Chickpea curry– A gravy side for rice varieties with chickpea as the main ingredient.
Also, try our other recipes from the Chinese kitchen!
Noodles chowmein– Bowl of tasty noodles loaded with veggies and various sauces.
Egg Manchurian– An Indo-Chinese appetizer made from eggs.
A nutritious recipe for an active day!
This healthy vegan recipe makes you have an energizing day of work. For instance, this tofu dish is abundant in protein content. Also, the veggies in the bowl elevate the nutritional factor of the stir fry bowl. Thus, it adds up the vitamin and mineral content of the dish.
Also, it makes a great course being the vegan’s cottage cheese! Thus, everyone will love the taste and take the healthy factor into account. For instance, tofu help with retaining low cholesterol level providing protection for your heart from cardiovascular diseases. It also assists you in your weight loss plan!
Tofu stir fry in 10 minutes
The best part of this vegan bowl is that it can be prepared in just 10 minutes if you have leftover rice to go with this. Firstly, we prepare a sauce from soya sauce, maple syrup and sesame seeds. Meanwhile, we slightly fry the cubed tofu with cornstarch, pepper and salt. We add these to the pan of stir-frying veggies and in conclusion, add the sauce pre-prepared.
Garnish the tofu stir fry with spring onions and sesame seeds, and serve hot with any rice of your choice!
Tips to make the stir fry recipe delicious!
- Serve the tofu stir fry with hot, with any rice of your choice, like white or brown rice. You can also opt for quinoa fried rice.
- While preparing the sauce for stir fry, make sure to note the type of soya sauce you are using. They are either light or dark, and you can vary the measurements according to those and to your taste.
- It is recommended to saute the vegetables in such a way that their crispness retains since the tofu and the sauce prepared will increase the juiciness of the whole dish.
- An evergreen alternative for non-vegans is cottage cheese (Paneer) in the place of tofu. Also in case of unavailability of maple syrup, you can opt for honey syrup.
- You can also add vegetables like carrot and beans to enhance the taste of tofu stir fry.
Here’s the video to watch!
Have a look at our printable recipe!
Stir fry tofu
- 4 tbsp Soya sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ginger Grated
- 1 tsp Garlic Crushed
- 5 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2½ cups Water
- 200 g Tofu Cubed
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 Cup Onion Large, finely chopped
- 1 cup Capsicum 1/2, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Bell pepper 1/2, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
- Add 4 tbsp of soya sauce to a cup.
- To that, add 2 tsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Then add 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp garlic with a tbsp of cornstarch Mix them well and keep it aside.
- Take the tofu cubes and to that add 1/2 tsp black pepper powder and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Then add 4 tbsp of cornstarch and mix them to coat the cornstarch on tofu pieces. Fry them golden brown in a pan.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil. To that add a cup of finely chopped onion and saute till that gets translucent.
- Then add a cup of sliced capsicum and bell pepper and 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds. Saute them well.
- Finally, add the fried tofu pieces and the soya sauce mix to the pan. Cook them till they attain a saucy texture. Add 2 cups of water to adjust the thickness.
- Serve the stir fry tofu hot alongside the rice. Garnish them with spring onions, sesame seeds and dry red chilli flakes.
Detailed instruction to make stir fry tofu
- Firstly, take a small cup and add 4 tbsp of soya sauce.
- To that, add 2 tsp vinegar and a tbsp of maple syrup.
- Then add a tsp of ginger and garlic each, with 1 tbsp of cornstarch and 1/2 cup water. Give them a mix and keep that aside.
- Take 200 grams of cubed tofu. Coat the tofu in 4 tbsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Fry them till they turn golden brown in a pan containing 2 tbsp oil.
- Secondly, add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan. To that, add a cup of finely chopped onion and fry them till they turn translucent.
- Then add a cup of 1/2 capsicum and 1/2 bell pepper, which are sliced.
- Saute them well. Then add the fried tofu to the mixture and soya sauce prepared for tofu stir fry.
- Cook them at medium flame and add 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds.
- Cook till they attain a saucy texture. Add 2 cups of water to adjust the thickness.
- In conclusion, garnish stir fry tofu with spring onions, sesame seeds and dry red chilli flakes. Serve them hot alongside rice.