An authentic and healthy dessert!
Fada lapsi is an authentic Gujarati sweet, that makes a slot in the dessert category. This traditional dish is made from broken wheat (daliya) that is cooked in milk and sugar.
This quick recipe is an absolute delicacy and has a rich texture to it due to the addition of milk and cooking them completely in the same. Thus, it makes it to the platter of every Gujarati festival. Thus, this dessert is one of the signatures and most favourite dishes in Indian sweet lists.
Let us have a quick look at how it is made!
The recipe of Fada lapsi
To start with making Fada lapsi, firstly take a cup of broken wheat. Add the wheat to a cooker pan containing ghee and roast them well and slow. Add dry fruits and nuts to the roasting wheat. Secondly, add few cups of water with sugar and milk. Give the ingredients a brief mix. While it is cooking, add cardamom powder and give a final mix. Close the cooker with a lid and let it cook for 4 whistles. When over, open the cooker and give a little toss. Your fada lapsi is ready for the dessert!
Other traditional delicacies for the sweet tooth!
Just like a plate of this age-old delicacy fada lapsi, we have khas khas halwa, caramel kheer and another royal yet simple to make desserts in our cookbook! Apart from these, other delicacies from Gujarat include Doodhpak, Kaju katli, Shrikhand and Puran Poli.
But before looking further, do not forget to try out these recipes from our cookbook that are listed below!
Besan ke laddu– These sweet and simple to make balls are made from gram flour and powdered sugar.
Mango kulfi– Who do not love kulfi, especially when mango is involved? Try this kulfi at home with mango flavoured ring on the outside and another amazing combo inside!
Rasgulla– The name of West Bengal, this evergreen favourite is small fluffy balls in glazy sugar syrup!
Ghevar– An age-old delicacy from Rajasthan and a breakfast dish too, the ghevar is crispy flour discs that are deep-fry and cream, rabdi, or sugar syrup goes alongside our choice!
Is a cup of Fada lapsi a healthy choice?
Desserts, as we know complete a meal being the concluding point. These are sometimes royal and rich depending on the ingredients used, their taste, the calories and texture. But a dessert, like fada lapsi, is an absolute go-to as a healthy bowl of dessert. Here is why!
Fada lapsi’s main ingredient is daliya (broken wheat). This raw material is highly fibrous and prevents constipation. Thus, after a sumptuous meal, a dessert having abundant fibre content is a brownie factor. Also, broken wheat elevates the metabolic rate in our organ systems. Daliya is one of the ingredients under recommendations for a weight loss diet. Another main ingredient, milk, is rich in calcium and protein content. These are the main sources to keep our bones and muscles strong and healthy!
Tips and tricks to make Fada lapsi
- Firstly, the amount of adding dry fruits and nuts can be more and is to your choice. The more they are in the dish, the higher is the nutritional value of the whole dish.
- Secondly, you can add condensed milk in the place of a normal one or alongside that. This will provide the dish with a nice rich and creamy texture.
- Also, you can substitute sugar with jaggery or brown sugar as they are healthier than the former one!
- According to the quantity, you are going to make, change the proportion of milk and water you are going to add. This will help by ensuring that the cooking of wheat is accurate and does not become too sticky or too dry.
- Also, pressure cooking the lapsi and the number of whistles depends on the quantity again. The scale may change.
- For a vegan touch, you can add soy milk in the place of normal milk.
The printable version of the recipe
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 Cup Broken wheat Daliya
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- Almonds 5-6
- Raisins 5-6
- Cashew nuts 5-6
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- Add 2 tbsp of Ghee to a cooker pan.
- Then add a cup of broken wheat. Roast the wheat in medium flame until you get an aroma from the pan.
- Now add the assorted dry fruits and the nuts to the wheat.
- To this, add 2 cups of water.
- While the wheat is boiling in water, add 1/2 cup of milk and 1 cup of sugar. Finally, add 1/2 a tsp of cardamom powder.
- Give it a mix and close the lid of the cooker. Leave it for 4 whistles.
- When done, give the lapsi a little toss and serve!
Detailed instruction of making Fada lapsi step by step with images
- Firstly for making Fada lapsi, take a cooker pan. To that, add 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Then add a cup of broken wheat (daliya) to it. Roast them in medium flame for 2 minutes. You know the wheat is roasting when you sense an aromatic flavour arising.
- Now to this, add the finely chopped almonds, raisins and cashew nuts. Give them a little roast.
- Secondly, add 2 cups of water to start cooking the wheat. Eventually, add 1/2 a cup of milk to the boiling water in the cooker. Give them all a great mix.
- Finally, add a cup of sugar to the mix in the cooker and stir all the ingredients for a uniform blend of flavours. Lastly, add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Give them a final mix and close the lid of the cooker.
- Let them, pressure cook, under medium flame for 15 minutes. In other words, let them cook till 4 whistles.
- When complete, open the lid and give a little toss. Add a little cream or some more nuts at the last if you need.
- Finally, serve them on a plate or bowl and enjoy the dessert!