Soft and fluffy buns with delicious stuffing
Bao buns are a classic Chinese snacking dish. The bao buns recipe is simple and very easy to make. Even there are fusion delicacies! For instance, Vada bao gives a desi twist to this dish.
The bao buns recipe consists of various stuffing options. Some of them are steamed vegetables, spiced veggies, minced meat or pork bellies. In this recipe, we will see how to make stuffing from chicken and paneer. Since this snack is steam cooked and stuffed with protein and mineral-rich veggies and meat, this is one of the most healthy and delicious snacks to munch.
Now let us have a look at how to make the bao buns recipe.
A little summary of making the bao buns
Firstly for the bao buns recipe, prepare the dough. For this, prepare the yeast mixture in warm water with sugar and yeast. Now add a cup of flour (maida) to the mixture and add oil, milk powder, salt and baking powder. Knead the dough well and let it rest for 2 hours. When done, the dough doubles in its size. Secondly, dust the dough with a little amount of flour and roll them into a sheet. Finally, make small circular sheets, fold them semi circularly and steam them for 12 minutes. The bao buns are ready!
Secondly, prepare the chicken stuffing for the bao buns recipe. For this, take a bowl of boneless chicken and add salt, black pepper and ginger garlic paste. Mix everything well and finally add maida and coat the pieces. Deep fry them till they turn golden brown. Finally, for the stuffing, dress the fried chicken pieces with barbecue and chilli sauce and stuff the bao buns with it.
Thirdly, let us prepare the paneer stuffing. For this. take a bowl of paneer cubes and mix it with a little amount of salt and schezwan sauce. Then stuff the bao buns with this mix and enjoy the bao buns recipe with paneer!
Other authentic delicacies from our cookbook!
The steamed bao buns can be made flavourful with diverse stuffing options. And to go with it, here are some other amazing delicacies that you can try making at home!
Makhana bhel– A healthy bhel variety made from lotus seeds. Famous street food from Northern India.
Garlic knots– Spicy and garlicky bread variant and a perfect combo for a plate of cheesy pasta.
Baked pasta– Cheesy pasta with loaded veggies and baked at a perfect temperature.
Added tips to make the bao buns a relishing delicacy!
- Firstly, make sure that the dough is kneaded in the right consistency. Do not make it too loosened or sticky, or too dry and tight.
- Secondly, while folding the circular sheets to make the buns, you can brush the inside with water too in the place of oil.
- Thirdly, do not cook or fry the chicken too long. This may make it a little harder.
- You can also air fry the chicken pieces to have them oil-free.
- Also, you can substitute paneer with tofu or maida for buns with wheat flour.
The video of the steamed bao buns recipe
Print the recipe here!
For bao buns
- 200 ml Warm water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2⅓ tsp Yeast
- 3½ tbsp oil
- 2½ cup Flour/Maida
- 3 tbsp Milk powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
For Chicken stuffing
- 200 gms Boneless chicken pieces
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Flour/ Maida
- Oil To deep fry
- 3 tbsp Barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp Chilli sauce
For paneer stuffing
- 100 gms Paneer
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Schezwan sauce
Steaming bao buns
- Prepare yeast mixture in 200 ml of warm water with 2 tbsp sugar and 2⅓ tbsp of yeast.
- Mix them well. To this, add 3½ tbsp oil with 2½ cups of maida.
- Then add 3 tbsp of sugar with a tsp of baking powder and salt.
- Knead the dough well and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then wrap the dough and let it rest for 2 hrs.
- The dough doubles in size. Now dust the dough with a little amount of flour and roll it into a thin sheet.
- Make small circular sheets from that using a round cutter. Then apply oil on those sheets and fold them semicircularly.
- Then place the semicircular buns on the parchment paper and steam them for 12 minutes at high flame.
- Your bao buns are ready!
Preparing and stuffing the buns with chicken
- Take 200 gms of boneless chicken and a tsp of salt with 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Then add a tsp of ginger garlic paste and mix all the ingredients well.
- Finally, add 1/4 cup of flour/ maida and coat the spiced chicken pieces well. When done, deep fry the pieces till they turn golden brown.
- In the conclusion, mix them with 3 tbsp of barbecue sauce and a tbsp of chilli sauce and stuff the steamed bao buns with these. Finally, drizzle them with a little amount of ketchup and serve the buns!
Preparing and stuffing the buns with paneer
- Take 100 gms of paneer cubes.
- To this, add a tsp of salt with a tbsp of schezwan sauce. Mix the ingredients and stuff them in the bao buns.
- The bao buns with paneer stuffing are ready!
Detailed instructions on how to make bao buns step by step
- Firstly, let us prepare the buns segment of the bao buns recipe. For this, take 200 ml of warm water and add 2 tbsp sugar with 2 and a half tbsp of yeast.
- Mix the solution well. Now to this, add 3 and a half tbsp of oil with 2 and a half cups of maida.
- Finally, add 3 tbsp of sugar with a tsp of baking powder and salt.
- Knead the dough well. Let it rest for 2 hours in a wrapped condition. Rest the dough in an oil greased bowl. The dough doubles in its size.
- Then take the risen dough and dust it with a little amount of flour. Roll the dough with a rolling pin and make small circular sheets out of that using a round cutter.
- Now brush the sheets with a little amount of oil and fold them half. Place the folded ones onto parchment paper and steam cook them for 12 minutes at a high flame. The bao buns are ready!
- Secondly, for the chicken stuffing, take 200 gms of boneless chicken and add a tsp of salt with 1/2 a tsp of black pepper powder.
- Then add a tsp of ginger garlic paste and mix the ingredients well. Finally, add 1/4th cup of flour and coat the spiced chicken pieces well. Deep fry the pieces until they turn golden brown.
- In conclusion, dress the pieces in 3 tbsp of barbecue sauce and a tbsp of chilli sauce and stuff the steamed bao buns with it.
- For the paneer stuffing, take 100 grams of paneer cubes and to that, add a tsp of salt and a tbsp of schezwan sauce. Mix the ingredients well. Then stuff the bao buns with the paneer mix and relish!