A simple and rich bowl of sweet!
Khas Khas ka halwa is a delicious, healthy and super-rich recipe. It is a native delicacy treat for all sweet tooth people. Apart from other types of halwa, this one is not that popular but do not compromise with the taste!
This halwa is made with poppy seeds as the main ingredient. Also, the name of the halwa varies according to the regions as khus khus or jo seero in the North and Gasa gase or gasagasalu in the South.
The halwa has a rich texture and tastes like Koya and kalakand. Its smoothness makes the sweet melt in your mouth and makes you fall in love with the delicacy! It makes a great bowl of dessert for snowy weather.
Now let us have a look at how to prepare a bowl of halwa from poppy seeds!
A quick look in making khas khas ka halwa
Firstly, soak poppy seeds (khas khas) for 2 hours. Then blend the seeds along with the water into a fine smooth paste. In a pan, (Kadai) add 2 tsp of ghee. To that, add a few almonds, cashews and any other dry fruits. Fry them on medium heat and keep them aside. Secondly, add a cup of ghee to the pan and add the poppy seeds paste. Cook the paste on medium heat for few minutes till they turn brown. Now, it is time to add a cup of milk! Cook the khas khas paste in milk for a few minutes till they blend. Then add 1/2 cup of sugar to the halwa and cook that for another few moments. Finally, add 1/2 tsp of cardamom (elachi) powder and the roasted nuts and fruits to the halwa. Mix them well. When ready, serve the khas khas ka halwa!
Other delicacies prepared from khas khas
Apart from making khas khas ka halwa, the poppy seeds are easy to cook and a single bowl of this ingredient give out various other delicacies too! As poppy seeds have a nutty texture and elevate the taste of a dish, these top the lists for being the ingredients of various sweets, savouries and pastries! Some of the notable ones are khas khas ka kheer, poppy seeds muffin/cake. It is a great addition to the list of savouries like Machchar dompokht and khus-wala matar.
Try out these other recipes too!
Badam ke laddu– Little sweet balls made from almonds and other nuts.
Modak recipe– This sweet Indian dumpling and a national favourite is an absolute tryout! Made of jaggery and grated coconut stuffing, sweetness drips from inside when you eat one!
Ghee Mysore Pak– Another authentic sweet from Mysore Prepared with sugar and besan/gram flour.
Nutritional values that are hidden in a single bowl of poppy seeds halwa!
A single bowl of Poppy seeds halwa not only satisfies one’s sweet cravings but this simple-to-make recipe is abundant with diverse health benefits!
Firstly, the poppy seeds are rich in nutrients like iron, zinc and magnesium. Thus, it adds up the iron content needed for our blood circulation. Also, it promotes digestion and the potassium content boosts the health of skin and hair. It is also a well-known ingredient to treat issues like headaches, cough and asthma and the calcium content boosts bone health!
Additional tips to make the tasty bowl of halwa!
- Firstly, the major factor will be the amount of ghee and milk used. Make sure to add the right amount according to the amount of poppy seeds taken. This will ensure that the halwa does not get too sticky or too dry.
- Secondly, you can add any kind of dry fruits like raisins and nuts like walnuts or pistachio. The more these nuts are, the higher the nutritional value of a sweet bowl.
- You can also replace sugar with jaggery or palm sugar if you want the halwa to be healthier.
- Adding condensed milk in the place of normal milk will enhance the richness of the sweet along with its taste, if you do so reduce the amount of sugar used.
Here’s the video for the recipe!
The printable version of the making of halwa
Khas khas ka halwa
- 1 cup Poppy seeds Khas khas
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder Elachi powder
- Almonds As required
- Cashew nuts As required
- Take a cup of poppy seeds and soak them for 2 hours.
- After soaking, blend them into a smooth and fine paste.
- In a pan, add 2 tsp of ghee.
- To that, add almonds and cashew nuts. Roast them on medium flame till they turn golden.
- Add 1/2 cup of ghee to a pan. To that, add the khas khas paste.
- Cook them on a medium flame till they turn brown.
- Then add a cup of milk followed by 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix them all and let the halwa cook.
- Finally, add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder to the halwa and give a final mix.
- Garnish the halwa with roasted almonds and cashews and serve them!
Step-by-step instructions of making the khas khas ka halwa
- To make khas khas ka halwa, first, take a cup of poppy seeds (khas khas) and soak them for 2 hours.
- Secondly, blend the khas khas with the soaked water. Let the consistency be a fine smooth paste. This forms the base for our halwa.
- Then, take a pan and add 2 teaspoons of ghee.
- To that, add almonds and cashew nuts. Roast them on a medium flame till they turn golden brown. Then collect and keep them aside.
- In a pan, add 1/2 cup of ghee. To that, add the blended khas khas paste.
- Cook the paste slowly on a medium flame. Let it cook till the halwa paste turn brown.
- Now add a cup of milk and cook the paste till the milk condenses with that.
- Then add a cup of sugar to the halwa. Mix till the sugar dissolute into the halwa.
- Finally, add 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder to the halwa and give a mix.
- In conclusion, add the roasted almonds and cashew nuts to the halwa. Serve them on a plate or bowl!