Karela mathri or cage mathri is also known as elo jhelo nimki in Bengal. My mom always make these in diwali or holi festival. This is a perfect snack for festival as it’s quite interesting in shape and it will be really different from what everyone will make.
I have given an interesting shape to the normal namakpara. Everything in the process of making this cage mathri or elo jhelo nimki is same as the process of namakpara. I have also made many other interesting snacks for the festive seasons like holi, diwali or eid. Also check them out.
Some other snacks for festivals are –
- Palak ke matar
- Instant Gulab jamun
- Kaju katli
- Twisted Shakarpara
- Instant Chakli
- Karachi halwa
Hope you like this yummy recipe from my kitchen. Let me know how do you like it in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Watch video –
Printable recipe –
Detailed recipe with step by step photos –
- Take maida/all purpose flour in a bowl.
- Add salt, carom seeds, kasoori methi and oil to it. Mix well.
- Add water in small portions and knead it to form a firm dough.
- Take very small portion of the dough (1/4 of chapati) and roll it between your palm to make small ball. Roll it thin. [adinserter block=”14″]
- Make several cuts in the form of parallel lines in the centre. Do not cut all the way through. Now pick up the end and place it on top of the consecutive cuts so that all the cuts overlaps each other. Pinch both ends to seal it.
- Prepare all the mathri at once and fry them on medium heat until golden brown. [adinserter block=”14″]
- Take them out on a a kitchen towel to soak the excess oil. Store them in an air tight container when cooled down.