Banana chips recipe or how to make banana chips
You will learn how to make banana chips recipe in this article. Banana Chips are traditional snack from state of Kerala in South of India. In Kerala people call it upperi or nenthra-kaaya oopperi.
People will always tell you that every household in Kerela had a banana chips chef. So typically grandmother or grand-aunt will periodically prepare these with lot of patience. They have their secret family spices.
Apart from India, Banana Chips are also popular in Indonesia and Central America.
Traditional Banana chips recipe are made from nendran variety of Banana. This variety of banana received GI (Geographical Indication) tag back in 2015 from GI registry in Chennai. This is similar to how “Champagne”, is associated with certain champagne region of France, and are renowned and trusted for their nature, quality and authenticity.
There are few more recipes that you an check out –
You can make banana chips recipe from other varieties of banana like plantains. Also in some variations, you can use ingredients like sugar, jaggery or honey to impart sweet taste. You can also fry it in oil and spices to provide a salty or spicy taste like I did in this recipe.
Traditionally in South India they will fry banana chips in coconut oil but I use normal cooking oil in my recipe.
You can use both ripe and unripe bananas for making different tasting chips like we have used unripe bananas for our dish.
Banana are a super healthy fruit packed with magnesium, vitamin b6, iron, copper and potassium.
- 1 large Raw Banana (more if needed)
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Water
- 1 pan full Oil (as needed to fry)
- Cut the sides of Raw Banana
- Make cuts all around (parallel to length of banana)
- Peel the Raw Banana
Prepare mixture of Turmeric (1/2 tsp), Salt (1/2 tsp) and Water (2 tsp)
- Add Turmeric (1/2 tsp) to a small cup
- Add Water (2 tsp) to Mixture
- Add Salt (1/2 tsp) to Mixture
- Mix this mixture well
- Heat the Oil in oil pan
- Use slicer to cut thin slices of peeled Raw Bananas into the frying pan.
- Stir for few seconds
- Add Turmeric (1/2 tsp), Salt (1/2 tsp) and Water (2 tsp) mixture to the frying pan
- Fry on high heat until chips are golden brown in color
- Take out chips from frying pan and place on kitchen towel to remove dripping oil
Serve on a plate or Store in air tight jar for later use.
|Caution: be careful while slicing banana with slicer. It is best to try out some slicing slowly prior to doing so on top of frying oil. Another safer method can be to slice the Raw Banana into thin slices on a plate and then add them to frying pan slowly.|