The novel derivative from a bowl of Chicken
Chicken popcorn is one of the crispy and easy to make snacking recipes. It is spicy and a dish loved by people from all ages and walks of life.
The Taiwanese popcorn chicken is the first one that popped into the cookbook in the 1970s from Taiwan. But, thanks to the US-based food technologist Gene Gagliardi who, in 1992, telemarketed and commercialised the recipe under the banner of Kentucky’s Fried Chicken alias KFC!
From then, the delicacy attracted everyone around the world and now have a place in people’s heart as being one of the most favourite crunchies. It is now a signature dish in the menu book of the world’s largest food chain- the KFC.
But how to make a chicken popcorn recipe at home? Let us have a look!
Crunching nutritional values along with a popcorn piece!
Chicken is one of the most favourite meat varieties and a huge number of dishes originate having this as the main ingredient.
Chicken is an abundant source of proteins and also provide us with diverse vitamins and minerals. These vitamins and minerals assist in the healthy functioning of the brain. It also plays a major role in strengthening our bones with a high level of calcium content and builds muscle. 30 grams of protein per meal helps in muscle development. Also, having lean chicken meat is said to have soluble protein content that is easily digestible. Thus, chicken aids in weight loss too!
Also, having buttermilk and cornflakes as ingredients will elevate the nutritional value by the calcium content present. The carb content in cornflakes is low carb and do not hinder the dietary plans.
You can opt for rice bran oil or groundnut oil, to deep-fry dishes. They are low in their cholesterol content.
Thus, having a cup of chicken popcorn will not compromise your diet plans and exercises!
Various delicacies and snack recipes!
Chicken provides us with diverse delicacies to relish and complete our meal platter! It always has a place as an ingredient in every cuisine around the world!
So, now it is time to prepare and enjoy all these other chicken recipes for your happy meal!
Pepper chicken– A delicious chicken dish with an authentic blend of dry pepper curry and juicy chicken pieces. This goes well with your rice and roti varieties.
Chicken tikka masala– Another spicy chicken recipe from Punjab where the grilled chicken pieces are added and blended to a spicy tomato gravy.
Chicken pahadi kebab– A delicious middle east appetizer tossed in mint and coriander chutney and grilled in skewers.
How to make crispy chicken popcorn?
Take an ounce of chicken breasts and cut them into cubes. Then, take a bowl with 2 cups of buttermilk. To that, add salt, black pepper, garlic granules and chilli powder. Stir the mix well and marinate the chicken pieces into the buttermilk mix.
Meanwhile, to make the outer part of the popcorn crispy, take a bowl of corn flakes and crush them to the size of little granules. Now, pick each chicken piece from the marinating curry and coat them with the crushed corn flakes. Deep fry them on a medium flame. Fry till the pieces turn reddish-brown. Serve the popcorn hot with spicy mayo dip or thick tomato ketchup!
Pro tips to your bowl of crunchy popcorn!
- Safety first! Always practice proper safety washing practices of the meat to avoid food-borne illness. Also, when it is washed, cook them at an inner temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not crush the cornflakes too small.
- Also, while using buttermilk for marination, use it in an adequate amount and do not get wasted.
- If you want to make the popcorn more crispy, marinate the chicken pieces in a corn slurry beaten with egg yolk in the place of buttermilk.
- For vegetarians, you can substitute chicken with paneer pieces and relish a cup of paneer popcorns!
- Here is the quick recipe for the spicy mayo dip, that makes the best combo with your chicken popcorn: Whisk a cup of plain mayonnaise with a little amount of hot sauce or sriracha, lime juice and cajun seasoning. You can also replace mayonnaise with sour cream or yoghurt, and the hot sauce with any chilli or schezwan sauce. Use taco seasoning or chilli powder in the place of cajun seasoning.
The video version of making chicken popcorn
Here’s the printable recipe for chicken popcorn
- 2 cups Buttermilk Chaas
- 1 tsp Salt Namak
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Garlic granules or garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder Lal mirch
- 400 grams Chicken breasts
- 2 cups Cornflakes Plain
- Oil To deep fry chicken
- Take 400 grams of chicken breasts and cut them into cubes.
- Take 2 cups of buttermilk in a bowl. To that, add a tsp of salt, half a tsp of black pepper powder, and a tsp of garlic granules and chilli powder. Mix the ingredients well.
- Now marinate the chicken pieces in the spiced buttermilk mix and refrigerate them for 30 minutes.
- Take two cups of cornflakes and crush them well.
- Take the marinated pieces out and coat them with the cornflakes. Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan.
- Take the flakes coated pieces and deep fry them in the oil at a medium flame. Fry them till they turn reddish-brown and crispy.
- Serve them hot alongside spicy mayo dip and tomato ketchup.
The step-by-step instructions of making popcorn chicken
- Firstly, take 400 grams of chicken breasts. Slice them into cubes.
- Then, take 2 cups of buttermilk in a bowl.
- To that, add a teaspoon of salt, chilli powder and garlic granules with 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder. Stir the mixture well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the buttermilk bowl and refrigerate them for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take 2 cups of cornflakes and crush them well.
- Secondly, take the marinated chicken pieces and coat them by rolling over the cornflake crumbs.
- Take a pan and pour some oil to deep fry the pieces.
- Heat the oil. Now take the chicken pieces and deep fry them in the oil at a medium flame.
- Fry the pieces till they turn crispy and reddish-brown in colour.
- In conclusion, serve the crispy chicken popcorns hot in a cup alongside a spicy mayo dip and tomato ketchup!