Lemon Bundt cake
This lemon bundt cake is the ultimate dessert for all dessert lovers. There is lemon zest and lemon juice in the cake which gives it a nice lemon flavour. If you love lemons then lemon bundt cake is the recipe for you! Bundt cakes are dense yet tender and moist due to the icing on top of them.
A bundt cake is like a doughnut-shaped cake with a hole in the centre and baked in a bundt pan. Its name comes from a European brioche-like cake called Gugelhupf. Gugelhupf is known as Bundkuchen in Germany. It became popular in the 1950s and 60s by a cookware manufacturer called Nordic ware who made bundt cake tins from cast aluminium.
Bundt cakes are popular all over the world and to make this delicious doughnut shape delight, all you need is flour, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, butter and of course lemons!
This recipe is perfect for picnics, parties and brunches. So, do not wait and try this recipe for your family and friends. They will surely not get enough of it!
Pro tips for lemon bundt cake
- Mix the ingredients in the cake batter properly so that everything is incorporated nicely. But make sure not to over mix the batter.
- Grease the cake tin nicely before adding the cake batter to it.
- Wait for at least 5-8 minutes to let the cake cool before flipping the cake on the plate but not more than that otherwise the cake will become moist.
- Check for the doneness of a cake by inserting a long skewer or cake tester in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean means cake is done.
- Let the cake cool down completely before adding the icing or it will not set properly.
- Icing helps the cake stay moist and also gives it a nice taste but adding it is completely optional.
- How to store lemon bundt cake?
You can store lemon bundt cake in an airtight container without adding the glaze to it. Store the cake for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- How to know when the cake is done baking?
The cake usually takes 45 to 60 minutes to bake depending on the oven. You should keep checking for the doneness after the 45 minutes mark is complete as everyone’s oven is different.
- How to take the lemon bundt cake out of the tin after baking it?
Firstly, make sure to grease the cake pan properly. You can use butter, solid shortening or even vegetable oil to grease the cake tin. Use a pastry brush to grease every part of the cake tin.
After baking the cake let it cool down before transferring it to a plate. After letting it cool for 5-8 minutes flip over the cake on a plate or cooling rack and tap it slightly to take it out of the tin without breaking it.
Other recipes to try
- Lamingtons– an Australian dessert that is a combination of moist vanilla cake, dipped in dense chocolate and covered in shredded coconut.
- Black forest cake– It has layers of chocolate cake bread with whipped cream. There is icing in every layer and with cherry on the top of it.
- Vanilla cupcake– classic vanilla cupcake with creamy icing and rainbow sprinkles. It is perfect for birthday parties and get togethers.
- Oreo cake without oven– soft and moist oreo cake with icing that is pretty easy to make and does not require an oven. All you need are a few basic ingredients and you are all set.
- mango cheesecake– a cake that is perfect for summers that has the flavour of real mangoes. It only requires mango pulp, cream cheese, biscuits, butter and a few other basic ingredients.
Lemon bundt cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- In a bowl, add sugar, unsalted butter and beat it using a hand mixer until you combine everything properly.
- Add eggs to the bowl and beat it again using the hand mixer.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla essence, lemon zest and flour to the bowl and mix everything using a spatula. Then use the hand mixer to mix everything again.
- Mix lime juice, baking powder and salt to the cake batter. Mix everything using hand mixer and then use a spatula to scrape the sides so that everything is mixed properly.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and spread it evenly. Bake at 180oC for 55 to 60 minutes.
- After baking let the cake cool completely.
- Take powdered sugar and add lime juice.
- Add the glaze to the cake and garnish with lemon slices. Serve and enjoy.
Step by step lemon bundt cake recipe with pictures
Baking the cake
- In a bowl, add 2 cups sugar, 1 cup unsalted butter and beat it using a hand mixer until you combine everything properly.
- Add 4 eggs to the bowl and beat it again using the hand mixer.
- Add 1 cup buttermilk, 2 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tbsp lemon zest and 3 cups flour to the bowl and mix everything using a spatula. Then use the hand mixer to mix everything again.
- Mix 3 tbsp lime juice, 3 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt to the cake batter. Mix everything using a hand mixer and then use a spatula to scrape the sides so that everything is mixed properly.
- Take a greased cake pan and transfer the lemon bundt cake batter to the cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake at 180oC for 55 to 60 minutes.
- After baking let the cake cool completely.
- Take 1.5 cups powdered sugar and add ¼ cup lime juice to it. Add the glaze to the cake and garnish with lemon slices. So, your delicious lemon bundt cake is now ready. Serve and enjoy.