matar paneer | restaurant style | matar paneer recipe | mutter paneer
Matar paneer is a popular indian curry from north india. People prepare this curry on special occasions. If you go to any North Indian wedding, you will definitely find matar paneer. Matar paneer is prepared from green peas/matar and cottage cheese/Paneer, mainly.
You can prepare paneer/cottage cheese at home. Check out how to make paneer at home.
This particular recipe is the restaurant or dhaba style version thats why I used tadka at last for the presentation. But if you want to avoid excess oil, you can definitely skip this part.
You can eat matar paneer with tandoori roti, garlic naan or pulao. Even plain rice tastes good with this. I also love to eat palak paratha with this.
Sometimes in hurry I prepare this recipe in pressure cooker. Just use jeera/cumin seeds tadka, trust me it tastes awesome.
I am making this curry since 3-4 years. This is the best version so far. So please try this yummy recipe from my kitchen and let me know what do you think of this in the comment section below. Also feel free to share this with your family and friends.
Watch video –
- 200 gram paneer
- 15 gram ginger
- 5 garlic
- 2 onion
- 5 cashews
- 3 tomato
- dry red chillies
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 200 gram peas
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- add paneer in a pan and shallow fry till golden brown on medium and take it out
- in a same pan add ginger, garlic, onion and saute till translucent on medium heat
- add cashews, and mix it well
- add tomato and cook completely on medium heat
- let it cool, and add it in a blender
- add dry red chillies, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- blend it smooth
- now in a pan add oil, cumin seeds and let it crackle
- add turmeric, chilli powder, corinader powder and garam masala
- add the prepared paste, salt, and mix it well
- add green peas and water mix it and cook for 3-4 minutes
- now add the fried paneer and mix it well
- now for tadka add oil and chilli powder in a pan
- add it to the matar paneer
- matar paneer is ready
DETAILED RECIPE WITH PHOTOS –
- Heat oil in a pan. Enough to fry paneer/cottage cheese.
- Add paneer/cottage cheese cubes into it.
- Fry paneer till golden brown on medium heat. Keep flipping so that it becomes brown from all the sides.
- When done, take it out in a kitchen towel/tissue to remove excess oil.
- Reduce the oil from pan and add finely chopped ginger, garlic and onion to it.
- Mix and cook till onion becomes translucent.
- Add roughly chopped cashews and finely chopped tomatoes to it. Mix well and cook till tomatoes becomes soft.
- Turn off the gas/stove and let it cool. After that transfer it into a blender. Add pre-soaked dry red chillies to it. Blend it smooth.
- Now heat some oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds/jeera to it. Let it crackle.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala to it. Mix immediately. Do not burn the spices.
- Add the blended mixture to it and mix.
- Add Salt and green peas/matar to it. Mix well.
- Add water, mix and cover. Cook till peas/matar becomes soft.
- Now add paneer/cottage cheese to it. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- While serving, prepare a tadka. Add some oil in a tadka pan. Add chilli powder to it. Mix.
Add it on the top of the matar paneer.
- Bon Appetite!